People with large arms often have difficulty finding a blood pressure cuff large enough. This can be frustrating while trying to monitor your blood pressure as suggested. You may be in this situation and asking the question, what size is an extra large blood pressure cuff?
The size range of an extra large blood pressure cuff is 15.75″ to 25.98″ The size range of the cuff can vary from one manufacturer to another. The size of the extra large cuff is made to fit the circumference of an upper arm.
Since each manufacturer has a different size extra large cuff, this blog post will identify the ones available to you and the sizes of each. I will list each automatic home monitor first and then the extra large aneroid sphygmomanometers.
BP Tip: Lower BP naturally by changing how you breathe? There’s a device approved by the FDA and The American Heart Association. It simply guides your breathing for you a few minutes a day which has been proven to lower BP. You can check it out in the manufacturer’s website by clicking here.
Disclaimer: This post may have some affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Sizes of Extra Large Blood Pressure Cuffs
Automatic Home Monitors with Extra Large Blood Pressure Cuffs
The two most popular methods of checking your blood pressure are with automatic home monitors and aneroid sphygmomanometers.
An automatic home monitor is used by securing the cuff and then pressing a button on the monitor which automatically measures blood pressure. This is the most common method of measuring blood pressure at home.
1. LifeSource Home Blood Pressure Monitor (UA-789AC)
The LifeSource monitor comes with an extra large cuff only, but the medium and large cuffs can be purchased separately. The following extra large cuff is included:
- LifeSource Extra Large Cuff: 16.5″ – 23.6″ (42cm to 60cm)
This monitor (UA-789AC) only comes with the extra large size cuff 1. The extra large cuff can only be used with this monitor. Therefore, you cannot purchase a less expensive LifeSource monitor and use the extra large cuff with it.
The other LifeSource monitors are not engineered for the extra large cuff. I verified this by calling their technical support number and by visiting their website’s blood pressure compatibility chart 2.
- Check the current price on Amazon: LifeSource Home Blood Pressure Monitor With Extra Large Cuff.
( Lower Your BP Naturally, In Only 30 Days Or Pay Nothing…Visit Website By Clicking Here )
2. Welch Allyn Home 1700 Series Blood Pressure Monitor
The 1700 series comes with the standard size cuff, but the extra large cuff can be ordered separately 3. The cuffs can be changed easily within seconds. I’ve owned my Welch Allyn 1700 series for three years and store it with the cuff disconnected.
The following are the standard and extra large blood pressure cuff sizes:
- Welch Allyn 1700 Standard Size BP Cuff: 8.75″ – 16.5″
- Welch Allyn 1700 Extra Large Size BP Cuff: 15.75″ – 21.25″
Even though you have to order the extra large cuff separately, there are advantages to this.
- You’ll own two size cuffs covering a large range of arm sizing.
- If your arm becomes smaller because of weight loss or another reason, you’ll already own the next size smaller cuff.
- If more than two people with different size arms will be using the monitor, you’ll have both size cuffs available for each user.
- The 1700 series combined with the extra large cuff may be less expensive than some of the other monitors that only comes with the extra large cuff.
Check out the 1700 Series or the extra large cuff on Amazon by clicking one of the blue links below:
Compare price on Ebay Check Price If the 1700 is unavailable on Amazon you can probably find it on Ebay.
- Welch Allyn 1700 Series: Check the current price on Amazon: Welch Allyn 1700 Series Home Monitor.
- Welch Allyn Extra Large BP Cuff: Check the current price on Amazon: Welch Allyn 1700 Series Extra large BP Cuff.
3. Omron Professional Intellisense Blood Pressure Monitor (HEM-907XL)
This monitor comes with the following four blood pressure cuffs including an extra large:
- Omron Extra Large Blood Pressure Cuff: 17″ – 20″ (42cm to 50cm)
- Large Cuff: 13″ – 17″
- Medium Cuff: 9″ – 13″
- Small Cuff: 7″ – 9″
This monitor is marketed towards the professional but is operated automatically like other home monitors and can be used in the home too 4. Many people do purchase it for home use for the following reasons:
- A larger family with members of different ages and size upper arms. This one monitor will satisfy most, if not all, of the family.
- The monitor operates like most home monitors because it’s automatic with one button operation.
- For people who fluctuate in weight, having different size cuffs ensures you could measure your BP more accurately with the proper size cuff.
- If you have a home healthcare worker who prefers to use a stethoscope, this monitor can change settings which allows for that function.
- Small groups of people like church groups, fitness classes, community groups and other similar situations can purchase one monitor with a cuff range for most of the members.
Since this monitor comes with four cuffs and is marketed towards the professional 5, the price will be higher than the typical home monitor 6.
- Check the current price on Amazon: Omron Professional Intellisense Monitor.
Extra large cuffs is one of 14 sections in my article about blood pressure cuffs. Learn more about BP cuffs, including how to apply them and errors made, here in the article, Blood Pressure Cuffs.
Aneroid Sphygmomanometers With Extra Large Blood Pressure Cuffs
An aneroid sphygmomanometer is what doctor offices uses and can be used at home too. This is especially true if you have a home aide or a nurse visiting the home. In addition, some people learn how to use one themselves.
The cuff has a gauge and a bulb attached to inflate the cuff. A stethoscope is used to listen to the blood flow in the arm.
1. ADC Diagnostix Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with Extra Large Cuff (Bariatric)
This sphygmomanometer comes with the following cuff:
- ADC Extra Large Cuff: 17.32″ – 25.98″ (44cm to 66cm)
This extra large cuff is manufactured specifically for large, conical shaped arms 7. A conical shaped arm is larger towards the shoulder than the elbow. This often makes it difficult for a cuff to wrap around and make contact with the entire circumference of the arm.
This bariatric cuff has a curved design, so the bottom of the cuff is narrower than the top. This cuff is the perfect design if you have a conical shaped upper arm between 17.32″ and 25.98″.
- Check the current price on Amazon: ADC Extra Large Cuff (Bariatric).
2. ADC Diagnostix Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with Extra Large Cuff
ADC (American Diagnostic Corporation) has a whole line of aneroid sphygmomanometers (Diagnostix) that has an extra large (thigh size) which can be used on the upper arm too. The thigh size cuff is the following:
- ADC Thigh Extra Large Cuff: 17.32″ – 25.98″ (44cm to 66cm)
The following ADC Diagnostic models come with the thigh cuff which can also be used on the upper arm:
- ADC Diagnostix 700+
- ADC Diagnostix 703+
- ADC Diagnostic 720+
The models above have a cuff without a bladder and can be used on the thigh and upper arm 8. I called ADC and verified with with their customer service department.
I couldn’t find them available on Amazon. Go to the ADC website here, ADC Blood Pressure Measurement. Choose one of the above models and click where to buy. It would be a good idea to check with their customer service, 1-800-ADC-2670, prior to ordering.
3. ADC System 5+ Portable Cuff Sphygmomanometer with Extra Large Cuff
The ADC System 5 comes with 5 blood pressure cuffs, including the thigh size cuff below which can be used on the upper arm too.
- ADC Thigh Extra Large Cuff: 17.32″ – 25.98″ (44cm to 66cm)
I couldn’t find the System 5+ available on Amazon. Go to the ADC website here, ADC Blood Pressure Measurement. Choose the System 5+ model 9 and click where to buy. It would be a good idea to check with their customer service, 1-800-ADC-2670, prior to ordering.
4. Graham-Field Labtron Labster Deluxe Sphygmomanometer with Extra Large Cuff
This aneroid sphygmomanometer 10 comes with the following extra large cuff:
- Labtron Extra Large Cuff: 13″ to 19″ (33cm to 48cm)
This sphygmomanometer is available on Amazon. Check the current price, Labtron Aneroid Sphygmomanometer.
Health Plans & Monitors: As you know, medication, monitors and healthcare can get costly. There are more affordable plans, even temporary coverage, which can save you a great deal of money. Some plans have $0 premiums and may pay for part of the monitor. Find out if you qualify by checking their website. eHealth Insurance.
Read Next – More BP Cuff Articles
Does Omron Make An Extra Large Blood Pressure Cuff?
Omron Home Blood Pressure Cuff Sizes
Welch Allyn Home Blood Pressure Cuff Sizes
Article Resources: Blood Pressure Explained follows strict guidelines to ensure our content is the highest journalistic standard. It's our mission to provide the reader with accurate, honest and unbiased guidance. Our content relies on medical associations, research institutions, government agencies and study resources. Learn more by reading our editorial policy.
- A&D Medical: Blood Pressure Cuff Compatibility[↩]
- A&D Medical: Premium Blood Pressure Monitor with Extra large Cuff[↩]
- Welch Allyn: Welch Allyn Home Blood Pressure Monitors[↩]
- Omron: Professional Intellisense Blood Pressure Monitor[↩]
- Omron: Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor Comparison Chart[↩]
- Omron: FAQs: Blood Pressure Monitors[↩]
- ADC: Bariatric Adcuff[↩]
- ADC: Diagnostix 700+[↩]
- ADC: System 5+[↩]
- Graham-Field: Sphygmomanometers[↩]