If you have a large arm, it’s crucial to have the correct size blood pressure cuff. Good quality extra large cuffs can be difficult to find for home monitors. Since Omron is a popular brand, you may be wondering, does Omron make an extra large blood pressure cuff?
Omron makes an extra large blood pressure cuff for their Professional Intellisense Blood Pressure Monitor, Model HEM-907XL. The extra large cuff fits upper arms from 17″ to 20″ in circumference.
This blog post will inform you more about the Omron extra large cuff available and let you know how to ensure the cuff is correct for your size arm. In addition, I’ll list other extra large cuffs, from reputable companies, you may be interested in for home use.
BP TIP: Lower BP by just breathing? A device is FDA approved and The American Heart Association gave it the thumbs up. It simply guides your breathing a few minutes a day which has been proven to lower BP as shown in studies. You can check it out in the manufacturer’s website by clicking here.
Disclaimer: Some links in this article are affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
( BP Optimizer – Lower BP Naturally, In Only 30 Days Or Pay Nothing…Visit Website By Clicking Here )
Omron Extra large Blood Pressure Cuff
The Omron extra large blood pressure cuff comes with model HEM-907XL 1. This monitor is marketed towards the professional but is operated automatically like other home monitors. The extra large cuff that comes with the monitor fits upper arms from 17″ to 20″ in circumference.
The HEM-907XL, aka the Professional Intellisense Blood Pressure Monitor, also includes three other cuff sizes for a total of four cuffs 2. Therefore, when you purchase this monitor, you receive four different size cuffs. They include the following:
- Extra Large Cuff: Fits upper arms 17″ to 20″ in circumference
- Large Cuff: Fits upper arms 13″ to 17″ in circumference
- Medium Cuff: Fits upper arms 9″ to 13″ in circumference
- Small Cuff: Fits upper arms 7″ to 9″ in circumference
Since this monitor comes with four cuffs and is marketed towards the professional 3, the price will be higher than the typical home monitor. (Check current price on Amazon: Omron HEM-907XL) Although many people do purchase it for home use for the following reasons:
- A larger family with members of different ages and size upper arms. This one monitor will satisfy most, if not all, of the family.
- The monitor operates like most home monitors because it’s automatic with one button operation.
- For people who fluctuate in weight, having different size cuffs ensures you could measure your BP more accurately with the proper size cuff.
- If you have a home healthcare worker who prefers to use a stethoscope, this monitor can change settings which allows for that function.
- Small groups of people like church groups, fitness classes, community groups and other similar situations can purchase one monitor with a cuff range for most of the members.
If you feel this monitor may satisfy your needs and your upper arm is 20″ or less, check the current price on Amazon here, Omron Professional Intellisense BP Monitor.
This is the only extra large cuff Omron makes. If you want to explore other options or if your upper arm is larger than 20″, I wrote a blog post, check it out by clicking here, Home Blood Pressure Monitors For Large Arms. I scoured the marketplace for good quality home monitors with extra large cuffs.
There are a few others of cheaper quality made by overseas companies. They don’t have the track record of manufacturing and selling medical equipment to hospitals and healthcare facilities. Personally, I would steer clear of those. The short-term savings are not worth it!
Are Omron Blood Pressure Cuffs Interchangeable?
The interchangeability of Omron blood pressure cuffs depends on what style blood pressure cuff and the Omron model blood pressure monitor. Some cuffs are interchangeable but some are not. Check with the Omron manufacturer directly for interchangeable information.
If you already own an Omron monitor and are thinking about purchasing the extra large cuff for it, it will not interchange with each other. To use the extra large cuff that comes with the Professional Intellisense monitor, that monitor must be used for that particular cuff 4.
For example: If you own an Omron 5, 7, 10, Platinum or Gold series monitor, the extra large cuff, 17″ to 20″ will not operate for those monitors.
Omron Large Blood Pressure Cuffs
All the Omron home monitors come with a wide range blood pressure cuff or the pre-formed easy-wrap comfit cuff 5. Both of these cuffs fit upper arms 9″ to 17″ in circumference.
The following Omron Home Monitors come with the Pre-formed Easy-Wrap Comfit Cuff: Fits upper arms 9″ to 17″ in circumference (HEM-FL31-B):
- Omron 10 Series (Model BP7450)
- Omron 7 Series (Model BP7350)
- Omron Silver (Model BP5250)
The following Omron Home Monitors come with the Wide Range Cuff: Fits upper arms 9″ to 17″ in circumference (HEM-RML31-B):
- Omron Platinum (Model BP5450)
- Omron Gold (Model BP5350)
- Omron 5 Series (Model BP7250)
- Omron 5 Series (Model BP7200)
- Omron Complete Plus EKG (Model BP7900)
The following Omron Home Monitors come with the Wide Range Cuff: Fits upper arms 9″ to 17″ in circumference (CD-WR17):
- Omron 3 Series (Model BP7100)
- Omron Bronze (Model BP5100)
Other Extra Large Blood Pressure Cuffs
In addition to the extra large Omron blood pressure cuff listed above, you may want to check out these three extra large cuff options. They are from reputable companies with a history of providing medical grade equipment to hospitals and medical facilities.
LifeSource Home Blood Pressure Monitor
The cuff which comes with the monitor is an extra large cuff. It fits upper arms with a circumference of 16.5″ to 23.6″ This cuff is the largest quality home monitor I was able to locate. Check Amazon for its current price and more details, LifeSource Home Blood Pressure Monitor.
Welch Allyn 1700 Series Home Blood Pressure Monitor
The 1700 series comes with a standard size cuff, but an extra large cuff can be ordered separately. The 1700’s extra large cuff fits upper arms with a circumference of 15.75″ to 21.25″ I highly recommend this monitor if your upper arm falls within that range.
Check the Welch Allyn 1700 current price on Amazon: Check Price
ADC Advantage Ultra Blood Pressure Monitor
The ADC comes with a wide range cuff fitting upper arms from 8.7″ to 18.1″ in circumference. While 18.1 inches is not over 20 inches like the Welch Allyn and LifeSource, it’s larger than most standard and adult size cuffs.
This monitor may be a good choice for someone with an upper arm size in the 15″ to 18″ range. Check out the current price on Amazon: ADC Advantage Ultra Blood Pressure Monitor.
Extra Large Cuff FAQ
How do you know if an Omron extra large blood pressure cuff is the right size? To find out if an Omron extra large blood pressure cuff is the right size, measure your upper arm circumference and compare it to the size range of the cuff. To measure your upper arm follow these 8 steps:
- Use a cloth measuring tape.
- Wrap the measuring tape around your bare upper arm.
- The tape should be in the middle of your upper arm between the elbow and shoulder.
- The tape should be snug but not too tight or too loose.
- Make sure the tape is wrapped around evenly.
- Keep your arm relaxed and hanging straight down along the side of your body.
- Note the inch measurement and write it down with your blood pressure records.
- Compare the measurement to the size range of the Omron extra large cuff.
Measuring the upper arm and making sure it falls into the blood pressure cuff size range is crucial 6. Many people with large arms often use a cuff too small for their arm. Too small equals false readings. I wrote a blog post about that which you can check out right below.
Health Plan & Medication: As you know, medication and healthcare can get costly. There are more affordable plans, even temporary coverage, which can save you a great deal of money. Some plans have $0 premiums. Find out if you qualify by checking their website, New Plan Options.
Read These BP Cuff Articles Next:
- Omron: Professional Intellisense Blood Pressure Monitor
- Omron: Blood Pressure Cuffs
- Omron: Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor Comparison Chart
- Omron: FAQs: Blood Pressure Monitors
- Omron: Blood Pressure Monitors
- Hypertension: Measurement of Blood Pressure in Humans: A Scientific Statement From The American Heart Association