Interested in buying a home blood pressure monitor to monitor your blood pressure at home? It’s one of the better things you can do if you’re serious about lowering your blood pressure. All the experts, including the American Heart Association, the new blood pressure guidelines and the providers where I work highly recommend home monitoring. Here are a few things to look for that may help you choose the right one for you.
Welch Allyn is a leading manufacturer of medical devices and monitoring systems. In business over 100 years, this American based business produces many products that can be found in hospitals and physician offices including blood pressure products. Omron is an electronics company based in Japan and was established 71 years ago. In addition to healthcare products, Omron also develops industrial, automotive, environmental and mechanical components. Great Goods, based in USA, makes healthcare, fitness and kitchen products.
Welch Allyn is more associated with medical facilities while Omron is more known in the home because of their more affordable prices and broader selection of home monitors. Many people who want to save some money will end up choosing something like the Greater Goods monitor, which is a very capable monitor.
Disclaimer: Some links in this article are affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These are the Top 3 Home Blood Pressure Monitors
- Omron 10 Series (click to check the current price)on Amazon – Compare Price on Ebay: Omron is a popular brand name and nobody will be disappointed if you choose the Omron brand. It’s reliable, has more features and can store memory for 2 different users.
- Welch Allyn Home 1700 Series (click to check the current price)on Amazon – Compare Price on Ebay: Welch Allyn monitor is actually better quality than Omron. It’s more reliable, takes your blood pressure faster and has more arm cuffs available for larger upper arms. It’s the better blood pressure monitor you can buy.
- Greater Goods Smart (click to check the current price)on Amazon – Compare Price on Ebay: This is your budget option. It’s made in the US and has less features but the quality is the same as the Omron. For me personally, I wouldn’t spend more for the Omron instead of this, but some people prefer having brand name stuff.
Disclaimer: Some links in this article are affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon associate and eBay partner, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why I Picked The Welch Allyn Home 1700/1500 Series
When you sit down, do the research and compare the Welch Allyn Home 1700/1500 to the Omron 10 Series there is a difference in the quality of the product.
- The Welch Allyn products are used for blood pressure measurement by more physicians than any other brand. When it comes to blood pressure the added quality makes a difference for accurate readings and reliability.
- The 1700 Series measures blood pressure in approximately 20 seconds. Almost twice as fast as the Omron 10 Series.
- The Welch Allyn Home incorporates the same blood pressure technology featured in Welch Allyn vital signs monitors used by physicians.
- The Welch Allyn has extra cuffs available for a very small or large arm. It’s nice to know you don’t have to change monitors if for some reason your arm changes sizes.
(My Recommendation: The Welch Allyn Home 1700/1500 Series-Click To Check The Current Price On Amazon)
Features To Look For In A Quality Home Blood Pressure Monitor
- Clinical-grade technology and accuracy: When it comes to something as serious as blood pressure, the accuracy of your blood pressure readings are extremely important.
- Bluetooth connectivity: It’s nice to have a home monitor that connects to an app downloaded on your smartphone. You can send your blood pressure readings to the app and have them with you when you visit the doctor. It’s easier than bringing the monitor or a written log.
- Speed and comfort: The length of time it takes a monitor to read your blood pressure makes a difference. A tight cuff can feel uncomfortable. Therefore the quicker the better. In addition, having the right size cuff makes the inflation process feel better and more important, take accurate readings.
- Users: Most monitors can store readings for 2 users. This is a nice feature to have if more than one family member needs to log their readings.
- Power Supply: Some monitors come with batteries and an ac adaptor. It’s nice to have the adaptor so your monitor can be plugged into an electrical socket in case your batteries run out of charge.
- Display screen: A larger screen with bigger size numbers makes it easier to see your blood pressure numbers. In addition, the background color should be a sharp contrast to the color of the numbers.
- Accessories: It’s nice when a home monitor comes with extras that are not normally included. Such items can include a carry bag for travel, extra arm cuffs.
“I’ve always thought about monitoring my blood pressure at home. Now I’m definitely going to get one! Thanks for the good advice.” – Ron
Here’s a Great Video Clip From Welch Allyn About What You Can Expect From A Home Blood Pressure Monitor
Home Blood Pressure Monitor Tips
Before taking your blood pressure at home make sure you follow these important tips. Proper technique is critical for obtaining blood pressure readings you can trust at home and accurate.
- Make sure your cuff size is right for the size of your arm. Measure your arm using a cloth tape measure. Place it on your upper arm between your elbow and shoulder. Evenly wrap the tape around the circumference of your upper arm. The tape should be secure but not too loose or too tight. Compare your measurement to the cuff size range of your monitor.
- Don’t smoke or drink caffeinated beverages or exercise within 30 minutes before taking your blood pressure.
- Make sure you have 5 minutes of quiet rest before measuring and empty your bladder.
- Don’t take blood pressure measurements over clothes.
- It’s best to sit in an upright position, back straight and supported like in a dinning room chair and not on a sofa.
- Your feet should be flat on the floor, and your legs should be uncrossed.
- Your arm should be supported by a flat surface such as a table or arm rest with your upper arm at heart level.
- Place the cuff directly above the bend of the elbow. You can check your blood pressure monitor instructions for pictures.
- Take your blood pressure readings the same time every day such as morning or night and take your readings daily.
- Every time you take your blood pressure readings, take 2 or 3 of them one minute apart and record all your results.
- If your blood pressure monitor has a built-in memory to store your readings you can take it with you to your doctor appointments. If not, record your readings in a log and bring that to the doctor.
There are times when a wrist monitor must be used. The most common reason is because the upper arm is too big for traditional cuffs or there’s a mobility problem. If you find you need a wrist monitor you can check my recommendation in this same website by clicking here.
Are home wrist blood pressure monitors as accurate? The answer is wrist blood pressure monitors are not accurate. Some numerous studies indicate a difference between the readings of wrist blood pressure monitors and traditional arm cuff devices. For this reason and more The American Heart Association does not recommend them.
Which blood pressure monitor is best wrist or arm? An arm blood pressure monitor is better than a wrist monitor. The blood vessels in the wrist are narrower and closer to the surface of the skin compared to the more accurate upper arm blood vessels. Plus, it’s easier to keep your upper arm at heart level which is required for an accurate reading.
Which blood pressure number is more important? Research shows that both blood pressure numbers are equally important in monitoring heart health and for diagnosing high blood pressure. However, for people over 50 more attention is focused to the higher number, systolic blood pressure, as a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
Check out my other recommended blood pressure products that may help you: